[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:43:46 +0100

Hi again Kevin!

At 21:20 Uhr -0500 15.02.2000, Kevin Dangoor wrote:
>The thing I really don't like about putting the items within a folder based
>on category is that it is quite conceivable that you may want to reorganize
>items into different categories down the line. If that happens, the URLs of
>your articles change. I'm a big proponent of having URLs be stable for as
>long as possible. (Once they're in a search engine, it's nice if they keep
>working.)

Absolutely! This is a very great feature of Zope and KMNN in
particular. Search engine presence is so important for content driven
sites! I don't really understand why it seems that no one makes
intensive use of this. Heck, you even have transitional
ZSQL-Methods!!!

On the other hand, there is no thing out there handling automatic
generation of header meta-tags (I will add this to my KMNN soon, as
the first site finishes and is going to search engines, the
description tag for example will be the first part of the teaser,
keywords are to be entered separately, author, copyright,...)
And there's this naming sheme index_html, there are search engines
that will ignore everything not ending in .html or .htm because they
suspect dynamic creation!

For a KMNN or eveen a PTK site, it seems important to ensure that the
main page is not indexed but all the linked and static pages are. This
works fine with KMNN by putting a robots-tag no-index, follow in the
head of the start & actual-pages and robot index, follow in all
other, rather static pages. The actual and archive pages will enable the
robots to get all the articles over time. With the present PTK, the
DemoPortal, it is not that clear how this will work. A spider can't use
the search-button...

This is why I would so much like to see a KMNN implementation for
PTK, well I am concentrating on those newssites at the moment as I
think that most corporate sites could benefit from that point of view
also!

Jochen