[Zope-PTK] feature request: news categories

Jochen Haeberle listen@MIDRAS.de
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:44:58 +0100

At 11:10 Uhr -0500 16.02.2000, Paul Everitt wrote:
>Jochen Haeberle wrote:
>  > I think this depends... for content like that on Zope.org, that's
>  > perfect. But if you think of some sort of news system, than providing
>  > an article is more of "submitting" it to the editor of the paper. I
>  > think this is important that the user does not have every control of
>  > the article as publishing rights get handed over to the paper... and
>  > if the content "moves" out of the users folder when it is sent to
>  > review, that's a sign of that legal event.
>
>Who said that reviewing policies were tied to location?  Who said the
>user would suddenly get every control of the article?

Oh, no one, but you were stressing the advantages of the me-centered approach.

>  > >I don't buy the argument that putting stuff close to people breaks
>  > >URLs.  Take a look on the web at all the ~username URLs you see out
>  > >there.  Moreover, deleting a member doesn't delete their content, just
>  > >like deleting someone on a Linux system doesn't delete all their files.
>  >
>  > I guess it would be possible to find means to secure this... ID's
>  > need not be editable after all...
>  >
>  > On the other hand, when using search engines or link lists, you know
>  > how much content on the Internet changes. The people on this list
>  > might be aware of those problems, but most users we will deal with in
>  > the Portals defenitely are not!
>
>You seem to argue, "Don't let users author anything, because they might
>change it, and thus break search engines."  You can certainly have a
>portal where members aren't allowed to author anything.

No. I want users to participate and author and submit but I think
there needs to be some logic looking after them when their content is
reviewed and publicly available. We talked about what is going to
happen when user change reviewed content, that's about the same. When
the content is linked to we should make sure things can't get deleted
and modified all the user wishes for. I think this is desirable in
the sense the web should work, although the present situation all
around differs from this ideal... this is Zope isn't it? I think we
are up for something better....
I just think the portal owner should be in charge what is publicly
available on his site. This is a legal requirement over here in
Germany. What if an evil minded user submits a nice, firendly article
but totaly changes the content once it was reviewed and published to
Nazi-propaganda for example??

This does not go for all content, but for sure for articles or news
items, even discussion-entries. Things are different for HowTos, Tips
etc. where the user sort of is maintainer. Still every change to a
published content should be reviewed before going public.

>There is no reason to think that putting content in a central place will
>magically solve all problems regarding change.
>
>At the end of the day, though, please remember: it's just like HTML
>files on websites.  You can put them in your home directory, or if the
>local policies require that you put them in a central area, you can do
>that as well.
>
>I'm still confused as to what is the problem here.  What does the PTK
>not do that it should?  It lets you put the same kind of content in
>central folders, with the same policies, as in member folders.  Should
>it do something different when content goes in a central folder?

Perhaps. I think it should be some logic to what is stored in the
users area and what not. What's in the user's folder, s/he is
"maintainer" of. Other content is edited in the users folder but
moves to a central place when submitted for review. That's content
that should normaly not be changed later, at least not easily, like
news, stories, articles )in the sense of a newspaper)
Well, I was just responding to your arguments in favour of the
me-centric approach, as I felt this is because you are looking at
portals of the Zope.org kind. This is not the type of portal I am
most interested in. I just wanted to stress that there are other
interesting uses of PTK!

Regards

Jochen