[Zope-PTK] Preferences problem

geek@geekme.org geek@geekme.org
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:52:17 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Jochen Haeberle wrote:

> At 17:59 Uhr -0800 22.02.2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >Given a freshly installed demo portal, attempting to enter
> >"Preferences" from the nav bar gets:
> >
> >   Error Type: AttributeError
> >   Error Value: email

> This happens because the portal creation wizard does not ask you for
> the eMail address of the first portal manager. You need to go to the
> management interface and edit this user there.

    I'm having trouble reproducing this.  In fact, I'm not certain this is
the problem.  I agree that the wizard should ask for the email address
(I've just made the change locally) but I have a feeling that what's
happened is you've tried to use the 'Preferences' option while logged in
as a user from the root acl_users user folder, such as the superuser.
This user obviously won't have the properties that Preferences
sets.  You need to log in as a Portal member (such as the manager account
you created in the Portal wizard) for it to work.  Can you verify for me
that this isn't (or is) what happened?

    I could make the Preferences page check to make sure you're a PTK
member rather than just some Zope user, but there are lots of other places
much the same thing could still happen.  Fixing Preferences specifically
would be something of a band-aid.  I can't think of a way I could catch
all of them in one place.  Suggestions?

Mike.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228