[Zope-PTK] "Portal" as a separate object

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:47:27 -0500

Hi,

    Something that has "bothered" me since reading some of the initial docs
about the PTK is that you create a "Portal" object somewhere in your ZODB
hierarchy. Initially, I shrugged it off figuring that if I wanted access to
Portal objects from the root, I could simply <dtml-with> them into
existence.

    Then I realized that if the Membership is a part of the Portal (which
I'm guessing it is, but correct me if I'm wrong), you can't do something as
simple as saying "Hello, Jane Member" on the front page, because the person
won't be authenticating at the root. Am I wrong about where the Membership
sits?

    I don't particularly mind if the documents are all somewhere beneath the
Portal (because you can get to those via <dtml-with> and the Catalog). But,
membership should be accessible at the root level...

Kevin