[Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:55:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Everitt" <paul@digicool.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>
Cc: <butchland@yahoo.com>; <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2000 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] Thoughts on a ZClass Squishdot

> > * A discussions that is based on the message category. This might make
sense
> > for special purpose or slower traffic sites. If the site Manager does
not
> > expect to get a whole lot of discussion on any given message, they can
just
> > have discussions based on the categories of stories. For example, a
space
> > site could have discussions on Hubble, Mars, the Moon, etc. Any news
item
> > about Hubble would include the Hubble discussion (in Squishdot style)
>
> Interesting.  This would mean that a number of items could share the
> same discussion?

Precisely. There are probably many situations where a separate discussion
for each Item of some kind would be too scattered. For these, rather than
creating a new ZDiscussion for that object, you would just acquire a
ZDiscussion. This could be implemented as a property where the user types
the name of the discussion. A bit nicer would be for things to have
categories and for the acquisition to work based on category names.

I haven't seen the exact workings of Topics yet to work them into my
thinking... Maybe the Topic would have a ZDiscussion associated with it, and
somehow the News Items for that Topic would all display messages from that
ZDiscussion...

Kevin