[Zope-PTK] Internationalization

Joachim Werner joachim.werner@iuveno.de
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:13:39 +0100

I'd like to support Jochen with that.

There should be full Internationalization support in Zope! I know that this is
not an easy task because it means that EACH AND EVERY user-readable text that as
of know is just put directly into the DTML has to be replaced by
variables/hooks.

But without proper internationalization, Zope won't be useful for a lot of use
scenarios!

In fact, that isn't a PTK issue but a general Zope issue. But the PTK would be
a good place for a first try ...

There seems to be some work in progress on internationalization (The
Internationalization ZClasses ...), but I haven't checked that in detail yet as
the release notes sound very alpha.

I think the Zope framework offers a lot of opportunities for implementing
internationalization. E.g. one could simply create a ZClass that has properties
for all required translation strings and checks for a language preference (set
in the user profile or by a cookie) to return the corresponding string.

Joachim.