[Zope-PTK] off topic? Holub's ideas

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:13:53 +0100

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> You remember well. I won't disagree with what you have said. I haven't
> read his articles in total yet. But like a lot of things there is good
> and bad. You take what sounds right and build your own philosophy and
> methodology and consequent experience will either confirm it or deny it.

That approach sounds good to me :-)

> He does advocate tightly coupled presentation to business logic.
> According to article #2, it is not a problem because a business object
> is not usable outside of it's specific domain, and within that domain
> the UI is well known.

This is interesting with respect to Zope.

Everything in Zope is expected to have a default and/or management
interface that fits within very well-known parameters.

However, Products are also meant for combining in arbitrary ways, and a
variety of different variations of presentation -- from application
developers adding new header and footers, to rewriting index_html
methods for very different presentation, to output into various dialects
of XML, via FTP, and so on.

I can see PTK development right now going through a difficult patch
where we need to decide how to get the tightly-coupled UI and
application logic moved to a much more flexible system.

Thanks for the link. I'll refresh myself with some challenging ideas :-)

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer