[Zope-PTK] Area based roles?

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Tue, 04 Jul 2000 10:45:29 GMT

Hi all. I've got an idea of something I'm trying to implement, and I'm
wondering if the concept is of use to anyone else.

I've got an Intranet up in PTK. (What a shock, as I'm posting here. :) )
I'm slowly getting people to use it for internal collaboration, et al.
But the main things people are wanting to do are internal to their own
department, with some overlap. So you've got:

+PTKRoot

 +-Members
 | +-John
 | +-Sue

 +-Marketing
 +-Technology

Say John is in Technology and Sue is in Marketing. What I want is for
John to have Contributor rights in the context of Technology, and Sue in
Marketing, i.e. John adds a News Item and Publishes it. It shows up in
Technology but not Marketing.

I thought about creating a Technolgy Item ("Release Notes") and a
Marketing one ("Press Release") and then just having a catalog search on
the meta-type of each in the appropriate folder's index_html and give
them all Contributor. But that strikes me as unclean. It would be nice to
have anyone be able to create a Press Release or Release Notes, but only
have them published in their department's context, and merely pending in
others.

Am I making any sense at all? Does anyone see either a need for doing
this or a way to do it? If it requires changes to PTK core, would anyone
be interested in those, or should I throw them in my pile of dirty little
secrets that no one should really know exist?

Thanks,
Monty