[Zope-PTK] Refactoring Discussable

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:43:28 +0100

Tres Seaver wrote:

> In addition to removing Discussable as a base for PortalContent,
> this proposal includes adding it back into NewsItem, Link,
> Document, File, and Image (to preserve their existing behavior).
>
> The downside of this refactoring is that any PortalContent
> derivatives developed by PTK users will either lose their
> "discussability" or else need to be modified to add it back.

I'm happy with both the suggestions above, and the trade-off mentioned.

> A separate proposal would address some of the above-labored
> issues by storing all DiscussionItems within their "host"
> Discussable object, removing the need for the catalog query.
> This second proposal means that my replies to others' items
> would no longer show up (by default, anyway), in "My Stuff";
> on the other hand, I don't think such replies are "mine" in
> the same way that a Document, etc. is.
>
> Comments, please?

I don't need any of the following features right now. I'm just trying to
be awkward :-)

Will this proposal handle the case where the roles Employees, Employers
and Doctors can see a Medical Record objct (that has Discussable as a
base class), but only Employees and Doctors can see Confidental Advice
discussion items that are added to it?

Will members be able to re-edit replies stored in this way?

Will the permissions on members' folders be taken into account when
looking at the permissions on their discussion replies?

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer