[Zope-PTK] Feasibility of using Zope for this project.

Dave Marchette d.marchette@efortress.com
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 17:15:48 -0700

Here is what I am trying to do.  Is this a bad idea.

1  Using the ptk\zope combo to manage around 1 gig of file I\O per day.
Average file size is 2 meg.  Minimal hits but large file transfers.  Files
are large AND dense, MP2 and MP 3, and the occasional wave.

2 Will use localFS for around half of the file I\O from the server.

Hesitations:

1  Can't figure out how to make any of the upload functions show a progress
indication.  All I get is "web site found waiting for reply..."  Still seems
to work for small files (2 meg) but times out on big ones...say 20 meg +,
right from a local connection.  And large files take a very long
time....like 5 times as long as they would using ftp server.

2  Can't get the ptk to operate with anything but the zope database.  For
this type of file I\O, I would think that SQL or Access would be the best
bet for my platform of NT.  Tried the PTK with zodbc to no avail.  Seems
that the database it needs it can not self create tables for.

3  Memory leak issues....been trying to figure out from the postings if a
large database means memory usage = database size.  For those of us who are
NOT rocket scientists the postings can be less than trivial to decipher, but
it looks to me like the database and mem usage are in at least someway
proportional. It looks as though...and I hope I am wrong, the local zope db
gets cached into RAM.  SO if I have 1Gig of files stored in the DB, do I
then have 1 GIG in Ram usage?

4  I am big proponent of Open Source movement.  But....I have no experience
with Python, and minimal experience with dtml.  The PTK is my only saving
grace at this point.  I am for sure less of a developer and more of a
content manager\system engineer type.  Either way I have to make this work,
and if you guys think this is a bad way to go I can perhaps use other tools.
Can ColdFusion do this sort of thing?  And does it do it in a fashion that
is easy to implement.

Please do not be afraid to insult my intelligence if you reply.  Any input
is good input.

Dave.Marchette@citcomm.com