[Zope-PTK] Membership packaging

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:51:44 -0400

I'd like to get some discussion going on packaging up Membership for the PTK
and as a separate component. I have some time to work on this now, and I'd
like to see people's thoughts before I start playing around with it.

Add "Membership" Things to LoginManager?

Currently, on its own, LoginManager doesn't handle the signing up of users,
mailing of forgotten passwords, etc. It doesn't even have methods for adding
users, etc. I get the impression from the TODO file that Ty would like to
beef up the UI so that it is more readily usable out of the box. It seems to
me that the easiest way to make Membership a separate component is to take
the Membership stuff from the PTK, and massage it into an optional component
for LoginManager.

The "Portal" object is then simplified to just add a LoginManager with all
of the Membership bits.

It seems to me that there should also be a setting for whether the cookie
given to the user for cookie authentication is permanent or just for that
browser session. I could see people wanting it either way. (Or maybe the
setting should be number of minutes that the cookie should last, with "0"
meaning permanent?)

Default User Object

Should the default user be in Python or in a ZClass? Does everyone like the
current set of properties? (If memory serves, the user properties are: id,
password, name [should last name and first name be separate fields?], and
email address).

How should the portal manager add properties to the user? Should they
replace the class or extend it through some mechanism (sheet/attribute
providers?)? If the manager changes the class used for the users, what
happens to the previously defined users?

To start with, I would probably make the default user object in Python with
the fields listed above (last name and first name separate). If the manager
wants more properties, they should probably make their own user class to
replace the default one, or make their own sheet/attribute provider.

Comments?

Kevin
http://www.byproducts.com - Humor and Novelties