[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:48:19 -0400

Kevin Dangoor wrote:
> The problem is that with LM by itself, you can't just add a user like you
> can with a UserFolder. So, if UserFolder was replaced by LM now, people
> could download and install Zope, but they wouldn't be able to add any
> objects until they figure out how to add a user to the LoginManager (because
> objects can't be owned by the superuser in 2.2).

Actually, yes you can.  "Special" objects like an acl_users folder can
indeed be owned by the superuser, as well as any objects created inside
them.  Last I checked, with the patch to LoginManager, you can replace
the root acl_users and have the superuser own it and any objects inside
it.

The real issue is that ZPatterns is not stable, and LoginManager is
based on ZPatterns.

> I guess it could be like a rite of passage... "Hey, I just managed to add a
> user, and now I can add DTML Methods!" :)

Reply: "Now try to configure ZClass permissions--without good docs!"
Arghhh.  Oh well, I finally figured out the permissions problem (I've
been battling it for a couple of days), now I've got another snag on
the wizardry... but I'll probably find a fix soon.

> The forms for joining, emailing forgotten passwords, changing passwords,
> etc. There should be some UI routines for managing users, but those don't
> exist yet. Those forms used to be in DemoPortal, but it seemed like
> functionality that people would probably really like to have, even if they
> don't need to set up a whole PTK-style Portal.

On a related note: Can someone tell me why it is that PTK has been
designed to store information about users in the user objects?  Why not
store the preferences in the member folders?  Wouldn't that be easier
and more logical??

Shane