[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:12:55 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> On a related note: Can someone tell me why it is that PTK has been
> designed to store information about users in the user objects?  Why not
> store the preferences in the member folders?  Wouldn't that be easier
> and more logical??

That's exactly what I've done on my PTK site. There are two classes of
member, differentiated by Roles. The data about them gets stored in
objects in their member folder.

However, I can see cases where you'd want particular data stored about a
member as part of that member's user record. For example, when you're
getting the data for membership out of an LDAP database.

I think what we need here is flexibility to allow a PTK site to go with
either way, or both ways.

I can also imagine a case where a member has a number of different home
folders, one for each role that member has.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer