[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Ty Sarna tsarna@endicor.com
28 Jun 2000 21:31:42 GMT

In article <395A4873.D054FD73@digicool.com>,
Shane Hathaway  <shane@digicool.com> wrote:
> On a related note: Can someone tell me why it is that PTK has been
> designed to store information about users in the user objects?  Why not
> store the preferences in the member folders?  Wouldn't that be easier
> and more logical??

To my, it seems to me that a user's preferences are logically a property
of the user.

As far as practical reasons:

 - Not every kind of portal will want to give every user a folder. If
   you have a huge number of users, you may not wish to create a folder
   for a user until they request one, especially if many/most users will
   never bother.

 - not every kind of portal will want to give members folders at all.
   If you're a company with 782,000 customers and your site is a
   customer satisfaction survey site or somesuch, you don't allow users
   to publish on the site anyway and really don't want to have 782,000
   never-to-be-used objects hanging around.  You probably also want to
   get information out of your existing customer database
   anyway, rather than trying to keep ZODB in sync somehow.