[Zope-PTK] LDAP and PTK - Help!

Stian G. Danenbarger Stian.G.Danenbarger@oslo.pgs.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:03:46 +0100

We have our 70 or so users in the Netscape Directory Server (LDAP), and
use it mainly for authentication on our web intranet. As part of a
redesign project for this intranet we've decided to try and build a Zope
PTK-based Portal site to replace our current Netscape based web
publishing system, and I'm working on this right now.

Aside from the fact that the PTK is still unfinished (but already
looking great), I'm mostly concerned with authentication against our
LDAP server. We really don't want to replicate our user base into a User
Folder, as we're letting each user maintain their own data, including
passwords, and this keeps things simple and consistent.

What is required to do this? Could I use LoginManager and an LDAP
variant of SQLMember here (perhaps adapted from the UserLDAP product),
or is LM simply too unfinished to base this effort on (my initial
impression)?

We've successfully used the LDAPAdapter Product for authentication in
non-PTK Zope folders (but not UserLDAP, yet...). Both of the Zope LDAP
authentication products inherit from BasicUser and BasicFolder, so
perhaps I could re-use most of the code here, and change them to inherit
from MemberBase and MemberFolderBase instead?

I'd be very grateful for any help here, as I'm not very experienced with
neither Zope nor Python yet.

Thanks!
--
Stian G. Danenbarger
Software Engineer, PGS Seres AS, P.O. Box 354, N-1326 Lysaker, Norway