[Zope-PTK] location directed publishing and the PTK publish process

Nitin Borwankar nitin@borwankar.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:56:15 -0800

Hi All,

A web site we have been building has

A Zope/PTK site we are developing (going beta in a couple of weeks and
will be announced here first) needs the following
process feature :-

When the contributer submits a doc for review they submit it for
publishing to a specific location on the site,
ie with an intended target folder.  Thus a contributor to "news" would
"submit to the news folder" and one to
"careers" would "submit to careers folder".  Assuming acceptance by a
reviewer, the article would end up in the appropriate folder with
appropriate title and rendering and be visible in the usual browse view
of the site.
Assuming catalog aware article submissions, the content would then be
richly indexed.

Correct me if I am wrong but the current PTK publish mechanism doesn't
make the document visible via a link
on a page *UNLESS* you do a search. Thus "published" content is not
really "publicly visible" on some
page with links to the content.

We have had to make some changes to the PTK internals to make this
location directed publishing possible
and would like to make this available for assimilation into the PTK
codeline if it is deemed useful.
In the case of our site we couldn't really do without it and I suspect
most Portal sites
couldn't either, so please speak up and let us know if this is a useful
enough feature.

It will take us a few weeks to get all the code in shape for public
consumption so this would be a good time to
start the "Yea/Nay" process.

Nitin Borwankar,
President and CTO,
EnterLinux Inc.