[Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 14:53:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chip Vanek" <chip@upcast.com>
To: "'Kevin Dangoor'" <kid@kendermedia.com>; <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 2:00 PM
Subject: RE: [Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

> I do think that this should be a standard part of PortalContents.
> To allow reasonable flexability there should be two elements.  One
> called "score or sortOrder" to represent derived importance based on
> pageviews and date.  Another element called "rating" to hold explicit
> user input on importance.  List views could be generated from one of
> these "importance scores" or a weighted average.

I was thinking that the "score" or "sortOrder" property/method would likely
be overridden by different kinds of content. My main intention was just to
advocate a particular interface that we can count on for PortalContent and
that should be part of a Portal's Catalog.

I'm not sure that I agree that a "rating" element should be a part of the
standard PortalContent object, because "score" is a method that can be
overridden to incorporate user input as well. I've given little bits of
thoughts here and there to ratings, and I think ratings should be a little
more complex because you want to be sure that a given Member rates an object
only once.

I've given a little thought to ratings implementation, but not enough at
this point...

Kevin