[Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 16:04:55 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Alexander" <steve@cat-box.net>
To: "Chip Vanek" <chip@upcast.com>
Cc: "'Kevin Dangoor'" <kid@kendermedia.com>; <zope-ptk@zope.org>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

> > I do think that this should be a standard part of PortalContents.
> > To allow reasonable flexability there should be two elements.  One
> > called "score or sortOrder" to represent derived importance based on
> > pageviews and date.  Another element called "rating" to hold explicit
> > user input on importance.  List views could be generated from one of
> > these "importance scores" or a weighted average.
>
> Will these scores be changing often?

Not in the context that I'm thinking of. If you incorporate ratings into the
"score", that could certainly change frequently. But, there are lots of uses
for a property like this that won't change frequently.

> Maybe it would be best to better integrate RSPP (RIPP, whatever!) into
> PTK better, so that we have the option of storing "score" data in a
> different propertysheet to the dublin-core sort of portal data.

If you're looking to incorporate ratings (which could change frequently)
into the score, you could certainly make a RackMountable piece of
PortalContent. In fact, I'm planning to do that somewhat soon. A piece of
PortalContent like that could pull its score from an AttributeProvider, and
therefore the score itself could be derived from an SQL DB or a mounted
BerkeleyStorage (love all this new stuff coming online!).

> Imagine having scores for stuff derived from how links are traversed
> during sessions (see www.everything2.org, neural net theory).

Yep... there are many, many ways in which someone can determine the proper
sort order for objects. That's why I think we should have a standard name
for the attribute in PortalContent...

Kevin