[Zope-PTK] Customizing Demoportal

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman@oslo.pgs.com
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:48:00 +0100

I am trying to find a way to build on the functionality provided by
DemoPortal while still allowing replacement of the DemoPortal product. I
tried the following:
1. Create a product 'myPortal', which contained a class 'myportal' which
baseclass is 'portal' (from DemoPortal). Looked good, but instantiation
failed with a resource not found error:
 <!--
who knows!
-->
<!--
Traceback (innermost last):
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line
222, in publish_module
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line
187, in publish
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 221,
in zpublisher_exception_hook
    (Object: RoleManager)
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line
162, in publish
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/ZPublisher/BaseRequest.py,
line 440, in traverse
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/AccessControl/User.py, line
426, in validate
    (Object: RoleManager)
  File /tmp/Zope-2.2.2-linux2-x86/lib/python/ZPublisher/HTTPResponse.py,
line 529, in notFoundError
NotFound: (see above)
-->

2. I tried to copy the various items of the demoportal product to the
myportal product. Not the best solution, because it means checking all
items of an updated demoportal for changes to copy. But at least it is
possible to update myportal with fixes in demoportal. This approach
works, except for the ZClasses. Why?

3. I can -but have not tried yet- add an extra interface to Demoportal.
However, that will make upgrading demoportal difficult. And how does one
add Portal Content types with this approach?

4. As a last resort: Customize an instance of Demoportal (this is what
we did with the current site). Disadvantage is that one ends up with a
mixture of representation and content. This makes it difficult to create
an empty portal.

I am not experienced with ZClasses, so if might very well be that I did
something silly here. I

Anyone who cares to tell me how they customized and what they
experienced as problems?

I will try to compile a How-To document of this discussion or add it as
help to the DemoPortal product.

Regards, Lucas
--
Lucas Hofman
PGS Seres                                        tel: +47 67514059