[Zope-PTK] Categorization, ZTopics and Portal Functionality

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Tue, 03 Oct 2000 22:00:21 -0400

Monty Taylor wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Monty Taylor wrote:
> >
> > > I've been fairly vacant in my attention to this list recently (vactions
> >
> > Yeah, me too :-)
> >
> > > Any thoughts, comments, ideas? I'm going to start working, but if anyone
> > > sees and landmines or is already working on something similar, please
> > > let me know.
> >
> > How's it getting on?
> >

> Well, I tried making ZCategory a normal Portal Object, so that to create a
> new Category and ensure its place in the heirarchy, one had only to create a
> ZCategory and Categorize it. I canned that (although I still like the
> cleanliness) because I don't think it makes much sense to have the Categories
> live in a user's folder. They really are system objects.
>
> So then I went for the simple approach of making a Portal Aware ZTopic and
> adding it in the appropriate context. I had other problems with this one, but
> canned it because I realized I was trying to create a meta-management
> interface so that portal managers wouldn't have to see the management
> interface.
>
> So for the moment, I'm just working on adding Portal Aware ZTopics in the
> management interface. The key difference is that each Portal Object (this is
> the part I'm coding right now) gets a list of available Categories from the
> Portal Catalog.
>
> I would imaging you to be working on something similar for Swishdot. Any
> luck? (Or have I missed something in my chucked attempts I should re-look
> at? )

A small correction (this is Paul's *least* favorite misconception about
the
PTK):  users with appropriate roles can create PortalContent
anywhere in the portal.  The key advantage to deriving from PC is that
you get
the machinery for the "meta-interface" you refer to just by implementing
'listActions()'.