[Zope-PTK] Distributed ZClass products (Wizard, DemoPortal)

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:51:56 -0400 (EDT)

I just tried out a fresh install of the "complete" 0.9.0 PTK.  It
is broken, due to the way in which base ZClasses are typically
created in Zope.  In particular, the distributed Wizard product
needs to find the class Products.OFSP._ZClass_for_DTMLMethod; the
pickle method helpfully import Products.OFSP, but the ZClass
isn't created at module import;  rather, OFSP uses the
registerBaseClass() method of App.ProductContext to create it,
when it is being initialized.

The fix for this problem is to patch Zope so as to create the
ZClasses when OFSP is imported, but register them during product
initialization.  I have submitted such a patch to the Collector:

 http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector/Collector/1687/view

in the meanwhile, I am pulling the "complete" distribution as
unusable.  The "update" distribution, which requires the user to
import Wizard and DemoPortal manually, works just fine.

Those brave enough to patch Zope from the Collector can fetch the
"distributed" versions of Wizard and DemoProduct from CVS :)