[Zope-PTK] Content Management Articles

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:11:34 -0500

Albert Boulanger observed:

> I really have a biased reaction about workflow focused on CMS of
> webpages like in these articles. I think workflow should be more
> general -- as general as work is. Zope would make its mark if it
> offered or integrated with a WMF -- Workflow Management System (such
> as Staffware's) that then can be applied to workflow of content for
> CMS.

I'm not familiar with Staffware, or any other dedicated workflow
systems. I did check out their Web Site though and found that
their product isn't available for Linux, and only works with two
costly RDBM systems. Prices were nowhere in sight, which always
makes me skittish.

I certainly agree that Zope can make a mark in general workflow,
and is not limited in any way to Web CM.

The great thing about doing CM with Zope is the opportunity that
the platform presents as the toolkit for building the application
for managing itself! Once we have this much in place it will be
irrefutably obvious that any number of other business processes
can be automated exactly the same way. Folks who would balk at the
prospect of a "massive" process reengineering effort will have a
prototype system staring at them, ready to go.

And they thought all this Web Stuff was just so much WWW . Fluff!

Later,
Jerry S.