[Zope-PTK] Seen WfTK, Open Source Work Flow Project?

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:24:12 -0500

Start here:

"I don't know of any WF system that can pass tasks around like this. This
may in fact be the Holy Grail for B2B process integration."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/discuss.pl?read=3

then:

"Actually, I'm currently learning Python. As Python is typically extended
with plain-vanilla C modules, and as the new and improved wftk (which hasn't
hit stores yet) is reimplemented as a set of libraries, I think that it's
going to be really simple to drop the engine into Python and Zope. That'll
be my next trick."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/discuss.pl?read=23

and:

"the goal of scalability would be well served by allowing multiple
repositories to cooperate in the system. I think the best way to implement
this is to allow initiation of processes to specify the location of the
process (that is, to specify the repository in which the process is
located.) Then the active process would reference that
repository+definition+version. In fact, since the process definitions are
XML, it would be most reasonable to allow retrieval over the Internet via
HTTP request. In this case, it would be best to cache the version retrieved
in a local process definition repository, so that sudden unavailability of
the remote repository wouldn't cause the process to come to a screeching
halt. And then ad-hoc changes to the active process would be noted in the
local repository as well. Updates and feedback could be done via an HTTP
POST -- to that end, a process definition should include a URL embedded
within it which should be used for automated feedback.

Note that this potentially allows the free distribution of useful workflow
patterns over the Internet... That could be, well, darned interesting!"

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/server_design.html

the home page:

"4 October 2000  My first release-ish version is ready to bake. It's still
pretty wobbly and there's more baling twine in its metabolism than I like,
but it's getting better. There's a lot still to do. I've also been working
on a reorganization of this site, and that should be ready to go soon.
Enjoy!

Now this is just plain cool. wftk is an open-source project funded by
Galactic Marketing through SourceXchange."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/

Later,
Jerry S.