[Zope-PTK] Good Practice?

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:36:37 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:

> I created an intranet for our company (about 70 researchers in 4
> countries) to keep track of reports and ongoing activities. This is
> based on Zope 2.1.6 and PTK 0.7.1. Customization was done by changing
> dmtl and python code in PTKBbase (don't laugh, I did not know better at
> the time). I added portal content types and wizards, extended dublin
> core etc,
> disabled discussion threads etc.
>
> Now a major upgrade is needed.
>
> 1. Would you advise to use PTK 0.8.2 or PTK 0.9.0.? Stability is the
> most important issue here.

Let me just make a general comment here: in my own view, we have still
not identified the specific goals of the PTK.  Until that is done, the
PTK will be a hard thing to nail down.

Or perhaps I should say that every time we define some goals and fulfill
them, users see the new implementation and want new goals... :-)

So, if your goals are consistent with what's available in 0.9.0, you can
consider it stable.

> 2. what is the best way to customize the demoportal functionality with
> regard to merging in future developments? In a way, a document called
> "Building your own site with the PTK" is needed. Or is that information
> available somewhere?

In other words, you want to customize your PTK while keeping the door
open for future upgrades.  You have hit on a major problem and the
current solution is terribly inadequate IMHO: there is a
"refresh_interface" method which wipes out your changes and installs a
new interface.

That's why the documentation is lacking.  What do you think would be a
good strategy?  I'll give you some of the options I've come up with if
you like.

Shane