[Zope-PTK] What is the PTK?

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 22:07:12 -0600

kamon ayeva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I mostly agree with Chris, and think that there would be more than 2
> products available on top of ZCMT and usable out-of-the-box. I am thinking
> about ZDP-Tools which will soon be available as a brand new solution. Also
> the ZCMT part could integrate some stuff from the ZDP-Tools architecture
> like:
> - the Model/View/Controler paradigm,
> - the "everything derive from one base class" idea,

Actually, IIRC, the original PTK stuff did this, adn we are currently moving away from it.

> - and some ideas we are currently experimenting about "per meta_type
> templating"

Elaborate please.

> Just one thing, when Chris writes the following...
> >How's this for a possible future:
> >The tools in PTK Base work their way into the Zope core over a period of
> >time and either ship as standard or come in a couple of very-standard
> >add on modules:
> >- Zope Content Management Tools
> >- Zope Community Management Tools
>
> I think we should pay attention to not introduce new naming/concept related
> confusion in people's mind. What is exactly 'Community Management' versus
> 'Content Management' ? I think of Membership, but are you also thinking of
> Mail / Groupware related features ?

I agree that the acronyms should be distinct. This relates to some earlier expositions I've had on 'Portals, Vortals,
and Communities'.

I am attempting to deal with at least some of it in Membership by seperating out the mechanics of users and their
content.

though-I-do-want-to-see-renderable-as-zope-core-ly y'rs Bill

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are easy to annoy,
and have the root password.