[Zope-CMF] WebDAV, ZPT & CMF

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 12:26:23 -0400

Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

> On 4/2/01 5:58 AM, "Seb Bacon" <seb@jamkit.com> wrote:
> > I've been having a lot of problems with WebDAV - I've not got round to
> > investigating it properly yet, but there seems to be some problem with
> > publishing to Member Folders in the CMFDefault over webDAV.  Outside
> > Member Folders everything seems to work OK.   I've decided, though, that
> > in the the context of the CMF WebDAV is not a good idea, since it
> > removes any way of enforcing inclusion of metadata.  This decision
> > conveniently means I won't need to look into the Member Folder issue,
> > either...;-)
>
> While it doesn't enforce Metadata, it does allow it (when it comes to the
> CMF Document class).  You can fill in the metadata in <META> tags.  When
> authoring HTML via FTP or the WebDAV source port in the CMF, all the meta
> tags get sent to the client on subsequent edits (anything done after
> creation).  Granted, one still has to know to look for the meta tags in
> their editor, but can be done.  Enforcement?  None.  Mostly because it's
> very hard to communicate with the clients well - you can't [easily] say "Oh,
> you *need* to fill in a Subject and Description meta tag."

Here's how I see it: the server should accept WebDAV uploads regardless
of metadata, but the workflow should disallow specific transitions until
the metadata tool verifies that the required metadata is filled in
correctly.  For example, on one site a document could not be moved to
the "published" state until the "creator" and "subject" fields have been
filled in.

Shane