[Zope-CMF] Grouping Members ??

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:10:57 -0400

Johan Carlsson wrote:

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Can CMF group members into different Group ?
> > For the same group members, they can access any contents information for
> > their group.
> >
> > Thanks You!
>
> Hi,
> There is no group support in Zope or CMF (as far as I know).
> I been thinking about making an extended UserManager
> (using LoginManager) that would support groups of users.
> My plan is to connect users to groups with roles, so that
> a user gets a role with in a group.

I did this in the ACLManager product.  (Available on zope.org; requires
the DatabaseAPI product.)  It creates pseudo-users that have the roles
matching the group assignment for a directory.  Groups are assigned
locally by someone with central authority.

Unfortunately it's over a year old.  It might be useful as a reference.

One other approach is to override the __local_roles__ attribute with a
callable class instance that computes roles based on groups.  The
drawback (and a very big drawback indeed) is that to maintain
compatibility with everything that uses local roles, __local_roles__()
has to return the roles for all users, not just the current user.

Perhaps the problem should be solved by changing the security policy,
which is actually a standard thing to do.

Shane