[Zope-CMF] A very long permissions list ;-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:51:11 +0100

Hi,

I'm gonna try and start a conversation here not go through the whole thing
firstup (ZCommerce threads on zope@zope.org spring to mind) so please jump in if
I've forgotten to explain something.

My basic question is 'How do I or the CMF or whatever avoid having a really huge
permissions list on the security tab if I have lots of content types/meta
types?'

Basically, as I see it, each meta_type has a list of actions associated with it.
These are currently each assigned a permission:
'Add news item'
'Edit news item'
...etc...

So, you end up with n * m permissions in each system where n is the number of
actions and m is the number of content/meta types.

At what point does Zope's permissions list stop scaling?

I can think of situation where there could be, say, 50 content types and 5
actions. That's 250 permissions! Is Zope okay with that?

As an observation, many of the actions can be factored out to be the same:
'Add x'
'View x'
'Edit x'
'Manage x'

This there any way this could be factored out at the Zope or CMF level to make
lief easier and quicker? Has it been done already? (just in case I missed
something...)

Well, that's enough for now... please jump in people and help me explore this
:-)

Chris