[Zope-CMF] Newbie Questions

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Rolander, Dan wrote:

> o  There was a lot of information on www.zope.org <http://www.zope.org>  for
> PTK that is missing on cmf.zope.org. For instance, the ZWiki. After reading
> the Everitt/Mannheimer interview on oss4lib, it seems they plan to integrate
> the best aspects of Wiki into CMF. So is the ZWiki forum for CMF/PTK being
> dropped intentionally? If not, what is the vision for how other products
> such as Wiki or Squishdot should or could be integrated into a CMF website?
> Does it make sense to do that?

We realize the wiki-features generalization is not going to be done
immediately, and are planning for the meanwhile to migrate the WikiForNow
ZWiki into the fishbowl.  I don't know what the actual schedule is, yet,
but it is in the works.

> o  The ability for users to create custom areas of the site and maintain
> their own content is cool, but how do other uses discover that content? Is
> posting a news item the best and/or only way? How should topics be used on a
> site basis? How do users know what keywords have been entered as metadata to
> give them a clue as to what to search for?

These are good questions, ones in which i'm particularly interested.  I
don't think we have complete answers yet, but i do think the combination
of news, for deliberate publication, topics, for formulated site-specific
searches, and regular searches for a catch-all fallback, together gives
you fairly extensive tools to find stuff.  (I'm interested in seeing
extensible "blessed"  keyword sets, so people don't have to guess about
what keywords people will use, but at the moment this is pipe-dreaming.)

> o  If a user (for whatever reason) leaves the community, what becomes of
> their content? Can it be transferred to another user?
>
> o  When a user creates content, can they assign edit rights to other users?
>
> o  How can a user create content that will be accessible from a common area
> of the web site? Does the site manager need to put it there and create a
> link to it?
>
> o  How does cmf.zope.org automatically create an index_html page for new
> users? My new CMF instance doesn't do this.

I'm still coming up to speed, and not sure, myself, about the answers to
these questions.

> That's enough questions for now, but I'm sure I'll have more as I learn more
> about this product. Thanks for helping.

I realize i only gave a little bit of info about some intentions, not much
solid in the way of answers - hope it helps, some...

Ken Manheimer (one 'n' in manheimer)
klm@digicool.com