[Zope-CMF] Login/logout information

Ben Riga briga@borland.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:17:00 -0700

Tres,

  Thanks.  I understand the security issues.  In my case this initial site
is an internal intranet site/experiment which will grow.  The security
issues don't exist since the site does not hold any sensitive info.

I think that this type of decision is best left to the user.  Yahoo does
this a couple of different ways.  MyYahoo never expires on me.  Yahoo Mail
asks you how long you want you cookie to survive for (varies from 15 minutes
to a day).  Hotmail also gives the user the preference of when to expire a
session (2 hours to never).

Perhaps this could be something that could be in the member perferences
page.

Thanks again for your help,
Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: tres@borland.com [mailto:tres@borland.com]On Behalf Of Tres Seaver
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 3:56 PM
To: Ben Riga
Cc: zope-cmf@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] Login/logout information

Ben Riga wrote:

> It seems like the CMF and/or Zope log me off whenever I shutdown
> my browser.  Is there anyway to prevent that?  In other words,
> don't log me out (ever) unless I explicitly log out.

Assuming you are using the cookie-based authentication provided
by default, yes, it is possible, but creates a security issue if
any of your users ever log in from a "shared" machine (library,
internet cafe, etc.)

You would need to tweak / override
'CMFCore.CookieCrumbler.CookieCrumbler.setAuthCookie' such that
it appends 'expires="Never"' to the call to 'resp.setCookie'
(line 153).

Because of the security issue, I *won't* accept a patch to add
this behavior, even as an option, to the CookieCrumbler
distributed with the CMF.