[Zope-CMF] Composite Content

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
17 Apr 2001 16:59:27 GMT

On 17 Apr 2001 04:20:02 -0500, seb bacon wrote:
> * Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org> [010416 22:30]:
>> Has there been any further discussion on the topic of Composite
>> Content?
>
> For my application, I need not only a CompositeContent Type, but also
> special CompositeComponent Types too.  This is because Components
> participate in a Portal only through the CompositeContent which they
> compose.
>
> A CompositeContent must:
>
>  - return a SearchableText which is made up of its components
>  - have slots which are configurable TTW
>
> CompositeComponents:
>
>  - must participate in the workflow of their container, rather
>    than their own

I think this applies, though in my app, different components need
different workflows, based on the type of component. If the container
knows enough to manage the workflow for the components, they are
likely more easily managed.

>  - must participle in catalogs only through their containers
>  - have no need of extensive (i.e. DublinCore) metadata, since this,
>    too, is a property of the container.

For much of my app, cataloging will primarily be for the metadata,
and DublinCore doesn't quite cover the bases - will need additional
metadata which needs to be Acquirable through the composite framework,
which appears to agree with it being a property of the container.

(My components will also need additional attributes and methods in
order to publish themselves...)

> Would these requirements apply more generally?  I think they
> would.

I believe so.

> I've implemented a CompositeContent as a Folderish PortalContent
> object, and I've implemented a Document-like CompositeComponent, and
> it all works quite well in a prototype kind of way.  However, I've not
> abstracted the functionality into a helper class which can be
> implemented ad hoc TTW.

Mind if I try to implement some of my component types with it and
provide some feedback?

Thanks