[Zope-CMF] Saving custom data in a MemberData-object from python

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:39:36 -0400

Phil Dodderidge wrote:

> I got it now.  I had misread what you wrote and thought you had written
> portal_membership.setProperties(myData="some special preference").  I also had it
> stuck in my mind that portal_registration was only used for creating members.
>
> I have a site where some members will be able to set properties (and passwords) for
> other members.  Is there a reason that the core Registration Tool only has a
> function to set properties on the authenticated user?  I know that I can get around
> this but is it something that should be added to the interface?

We had no use case for allowing members to modify the
non-security-related properties of other members, so no such capability
was provided in the interface.  Perhaps you can describe your needs
further so the interface can be expanded.

portal_registration really is misnamed but we haven't been able to come
up with the right name... perhaps "portal_policies"?  Its main task is
new user registration, but since policies that apply to new users are
likely to be useful as general policies, portal_registration took on a
larger role.

Shane