[Zope-CMF] Newbie questions

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
21 Apr 2001 12:25:12 -0600

On 20 Apr 2001 16:11:01 -0400, Charles Hall wrote:
> Can someone point me in the right direction? I've got Zope and the CMF product up and running, and I've spent some time with the Zope docs. But I'm still fuzzy on how this constitutes a Content Mgmt. System and not a mere tool box.
>
> So let me ask a specific and a general question to everyone:
>
>    - In General: Are there any CMF "user" docs?
>
>    - Specifically: While I don't care what language the CMS is in, the resulting pages need to be plain HTML. I need to serve them through an Apache-PHP server, and I'll type in PHP code where I need dynamic stuff.

Ahh, see you _do_ indeed care what language it is in, since you want to
use PHP. Zope is not, nor will be PHP. zope can replace PHP.
The page the browser gets _is_ HTML, unless you add javascript or some
other client-side scripting to it. But you must do that yourself,
if you want it. Zope, and espeically CMF-ified Zopes are more than just
a webserver, and this is an important distinction. If all you want
is PHP, use Apache and PHP. If you want something more complete (PHP is
_not_ a Content Canagement System!), such as a content
management framework,  use zope with CMF.

> Can Zope CMF do this? Does it make sense for me since I won't be using Zope commands in the HTML files?

As above, all Zope stuff is done serverside, just as your PHP scripts
are done server side. if you aren't going to use Zope, don't use Zope.

i would suggest the ZopeBook, so as to gain a better understanding of it
before making your decision, as it appears you aren't clear on what Zope
is.

Bill