[Zope-CMF] Newbie questions

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:50:43 +0100

* Bill Anderson <bill@libc.org> [010421 20:28]:
> On 20 Apr 2001 16:11:01 -0400, Charles Hall wrote:
> > Can someone point me in the right direction? I've got Zope and the CMF product up and running, and I've spent some time with the Zope docs. But I'm still fuzzy on how this constitutes a Content Mgmt. System and not a mere tool box.

I'd just add, the CMF probably *is* 'just' a toolbox.  It's called the
CMF, not the CMS.  You can make a CMS using the CMF, of which the
Default CMF implementation is a usable example.

Even heavy-duty CMSs, like BroadVision, are frameworks, albeit with a
more GUI-driven interface.  This is simply because a CMS is going to
be different every time you implement it, due to diffent content
management requirements.  The CMF is still pretty new, but it already
provides a decent framework on to which you can build your own applications.
It's being developed quickly, and most components that aren't
implemented can be easily built on top of the framework if you can't
wait.  It's not plug and play for most applications, and you'll have
to spend a while learning Zope to use it.

hth,

seb