[Zope-CMF] Saving custom data in a MemberData-object from python

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Shane Hathaway writes:
>  > portal_registration really is misnamed but we haven't been able to come
>  > up with the right name... perhaps "portal_policies"?  Its main task is
>  > new user registration, but since policies that apply to new users are
>  > likely to be useful as general policies, portal_registration took on a
>  > larger role.
> I am not a native english speaker. But:
>
>   for me "membership" is the correct place for all
>   aspects that have to do with members:
>
>     adding members
>     deleting members (yes, sometimes, they should be deleted)
>     viewing/changing member properties
>     providing access to member objects
>
>   Policies related to members should go there, too.

Sometimes even English doesn't have enough words. :-)  portal_membership
is responsible only for the member database.  In a multi-tier
architecture, it's the object that isolates the application from the
user database.

portal_registration is an application-level service.  Generally the
details of membership storage and the details of member policies vary
independently, so it makes sense to have separate objects for them.

>   "registration" should restrict itself to the task expressed
>   by its name: "registration".

... or we need to rename the object.  It originally was restricted to
registration issues, but it turns out that policy that governs
registration usually applies beyond registration.

Shane