[Zope-CMF] Adding / Listing Metadata Elements

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:27:56 -0400

Norbert Marrale wrote:

> Re: [Zope-CMF] Changing portal_metadata tool   Dan Keshet
> Re: [Zope-CMF] Metadata Element -- how to register   Norman Khine
>
> I'm running into the same problem as Norman did a few days ago, trying
> to have metadata_edit_form reflect the new elements I added to the
> portal_metadata tool.
>
> Dan posted someting to this list, before Tres' update of the
> portal_metadata tool, about being successful in customizing the
> metadata_edit_form, could you or others who also managed to do so
> share this knowledge?
>
> I also noticed that topic_criteria_form looks at the portal_catalog, rather
> than at metadata elements, is this by design? It would be great to be
> able to select Subjects and other metadata from the lists of elements
> defined in portal_metadata. The canned queries look up the indexed
> metadata values anyway, so wouldn't it only be a natural extension to
> be able to choose from these values in the criteria form ?

It wouldn't be hard to add another criteria type to CMFTopic which
does this for content of a specific type.  The current StringCriterion
just knows which catalog index it is using;  'Type' itself is one of them!
For topics like my 'how-to' one on the dogbowl,
   http://cmf.zope.org/doc/how_tos
which span content types, the metadata tool is not much help.