[Zope-CMF] inconsistent/confusing UI

James jimbo@tacomait.com
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:04:16 -0700

<old>
Last night I was getting a new user up on a CMF site and noted some of the
difficulties he was having.  Basically came down to inconsistent UI
elements.  Here's what I saw, and my initial thoughts for some solutions:

1. Problem adding content.  After pressing 'New...' and getting the list of
content types, he selected the type and was looking for what to do next.  He
didn't 'get' the 'ID' field at all.  Thought maybe it was his user name.
</old>

<new>
Same thing just happened to me... again.  A new user clicked on news item and
then wondered what to do next. Imho you should be able to select from a drop
down list and be taken to a screen to enter a 'title' and upload or do
whatever you need.  Introducing things like the metadata screen first turns
away too many people.  It should be an option after creatiing the object.
  Over a one month period I trained over 40 people on the use of the CMF for
an intranet.  The audience were state workers just being introduced to Web
services and had some experience with Web applications.
  I used a customized CMF and made powerpoint presentations, handouts and I
used hands-on sessions.  Seeing that I spent time setting up the CMF with a
few custom apps, I didn't have time to mess  with the CMF defaults.
  There must be something we can do to make it even more  simpler out the box
for the user.
How about a user  area  where we can see the next intended screenshot?  This
way we can comment and conceptualize together.  I get a better understanding
when I see a visual/Windows not text/*nix.

How can we go about helping and providing feedback for the UI?
</new>