[Zope-CMF] Thumbnail Galleries in CMF

Erik Lange erik@mmmanager.org
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:03:38 +0200

Hi Nat,

Greetings from a fellow "non-programmer" who have Zeen the light :-)

Have you seen the Photo and Photo Folder Product:
http://www.zope.org/Members/rbickers/Photo/announce_0-8-0

I think that what you want can be done with a slightly twisted version of
this product and the CMF:

1. Register Photo-objects and Photo-folders as new portal-types in the CMF.

2. Create a Photo-folder for each portal-member at member creation (creation
of "default-content" was heavily discussed last week, visit the mail-archive
for help on this)

3. Use the CMF-syndication tool, to set up syndication from members folders
to portal-frontpage.

Question: would this not be the "Zopish-way" of doing this, or have I
misunderstood the CMF / Syndication ideology ?

> Thanks again for the Blark/Swishdot/Squishdot info. Blark *does*
> look cool. I'll check it out more at work.
>
> Oh..and btw, not only pictures, but .avi and .mov files would be
> nice as many of us are animators, and that would be really cool to
> show off our animation skills to the world.

Being an old broadcast VT-editor from the era of analog videotape-editing, I
have since "the dawn of the ages" (1995) worked with streaming media on the
Internet and have always been missing some sort of online editing- and
distribution-tools equivalent to the ones I know from the
Broadcasting-business.

Tired of waiting, I therefor founded MMManager.org this spring, to develop
the production-, management, and distribution-tools that I believe 99% of
all publishers of mediabased content on datanetworks (which at the moment
primaraly is the Internet) is still missing today.

Of course (!) we have build our system as product-components to the Zope
CMF, which has given us the basic workflow-tools and metadata-schemes we
need to manage mediadata-metadata. (Zope Zimply_ruleZ as Object Publishing
Enviroment - and Dublin Core is the joker in the game of future CMS).

We have just last week released a new version of our main-product "My Media
Manager", which now includes a sample-site of a live and on-demand streaming
media web tv-station.

You can customize our product and sample-site to use either RealMedia,
WindowsMedia, QT or all three in any combination, and allow your members to
both webcast live and/or make their own on-demand media archives. Members
can edit their masterfiles into clips and assemble various clips from
different masterfiles into new sequenses, or "shows", which are finally
presented in a auto-generated web-cinema for the end-users.

BTW: Should you (or anybody else) be interested, we have now also included
the basic buildingstones for making Pay-per-view services, where your
community-members subscribes to access to the content or buys access to
certain content-selections from case to case. We are using ODRL.org's
DRM-langauge for formatting the XML in our licenses for pay-per-view, since
the Dublin Core dosn't cover digital rights management.
See http://www.odrl.net for details on Open Digital Rights Langauge.

The licenses we're issueing for pay-per-view access, could for that sake be
for any type of content in the CMF (documents, pictures, download of
MP3-files(!) or whatever) - and could be used to news-subscribtion on
textbased sites and much more...

Question: Are there anybody else out there working with digital rights
management and the CMF ? If yes: What are you using as DRML - and, are there
any plans from Z.corp (DC) to implement this in the CMF (/Zope) ??

Take a look at: http://www.mmmanager.org

Check it out and don't hesitate to send us your questions or suggestions to
improvements.
(Our documentation still needs a lot of work... sorry - we're working on
it - meanwhile please feel free to mail-bomb us with all your questions)

> Note: There already are a few sites that do this, like
> highend3d.com and renderosity.com, but nothing like what I'm envisioning.
> I've already got the artists waiting for me to get the site up
> with their own content, because they like my vision of what is
> missing in the high end 3D world. :)

We're at the moment looking for beta-testers and sites with mediabased
content - you seems to qualify as such :-)

I would like to hear about "your vision" and maybe submit some of it as one
or several "feature request" to our project ;-)

Greetings,
Erik Lange