[Zope-CMF] ZVMF vs. MSCMS

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:23:13 +0200 (CEST)

Thomas Olsen writes:
 > 3) Revision Tracking and Page Archiving
 > As pages are updated, existing versions are automatically archived. Users can
 > easily compare changes of previous work with existing pages.
 >
 > I think the undo mechanism is great but it's not quite the same.
It's the "History" tab which does precisely this.

 > 17) UNICODE Support
 > Support for multi-byte character sets means sites can be built in any of the
 > world's major languages.
 >
 > Guess this is supported? Input?
Core Zope does not yet provide significant Unicode support.

But Toby did a lot of work in this direction.
What probably need to be packaged, though....

 > 18) Language-Specific Content Targeting
 > Allow content contributors to target localized content objects to specific
 > users based on individual language preferences.
 >
 > Whats the status on this?
ZBabel, Localizer, VariTag....

 > 19) Multilingual Site Support
 > Support for multiple languages within single Web sites.
 >
 > see 18

 > 22) Flexible COM API
 > Developers can build powerful content management applications and share
 > content with other systems using the flexible Publishing API.
 >
 > dont mention COM but sharing with other system should be straight forward
 > with syndication services or xml-rpc or similar.
I think, COM is possible, too, though not so easy...

 > 23) Template and Resource Galleries
 > Templates and Web site resources are managed centrally on the server through
 > Template Galleries and Resource Galleries to ensure centralized control over
 > corporate publishing and design standards.
 >
 > check: Portal tools
No. I think Zope/CMF is still a bit weak about this.

They mean:

  You have a collection of Resources (Icons, Images, Templates,
  Template components). You need to find what is helpful
  for the current task.
  You make a search to find that out.
  For many resource types a picture is most adequate to precheck
  whether it is potentially adequate for the task.
  Thus your hits are presented in a thumbnail gallery.

  Quite helpful....

 > 24) Dynamic Site MapSite map and navigation are generated automatically as
 > pages are published to the site.
 >
 > guess this would be a 15 min. job...
Really? How would you do that?

 > 25) Site Deployment Manager
 > Allows site administrators to easily move content and Web sites between
 > servers.
 >
 > check: import/export
But this is not really easy...

To make it easy you need to automate the "import/export" and
moving files around servers and you want that supported
with an easy GUI....

Dieter