[Zope-CMF] Coments on Z2.5b1 with CMF and friends

Bill Anderson bill@immosys.com
02 Dec 2001 00:53:48 -0700

On Sat, 2001-12-01 at 16:14, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> bill,
>
> > CMF Collector
> > -------------
> > I had hopes for this one. Unfortunately, it *requires* ZPT, which is
> > installed as base zope now. The sad part is, it makes it completely
> > incompatible with other skins. how about a default, basic skin, please?
> > In order for Collector to be integrated, it requires an understanding of
> > ZPT, in order to convert it to dtml. I would say that while DTML is
> > still the default, CMF* products should come with dtml skin objects.
> > Including a ZPT version would be nice, but not required.
>
> the CMFDecor product provides the basic ZPT-based skin. since ZPT is the
> "way of the future" (CMF 1.2 will "swallow up" CMFDecor and have ZPT-based
> skins as default) there won't be a DTML-based skin for the CMF Collector.

That's a drag, since you are talking about a future, that may well be a
long way off. In the meantime, those of us non-ZPT-grokking people are
hosed. :{

Now, if there was some detailed docs on *converting* between the two,
that would help out quite a bit, So far, the docs are not that great. I
*know* how to do things in DTML, but not ZPT. The ZPT docs seem oriented
away from people like me. Ah well, guess that just might help me out,
since in this next week I'll be offering skin development form
templates, etc. for a small, reasonable fee. They will be done in DTML
until I have good reason to use ZPT.:)

> > Installation. It appears that this one strays from the de facto install
> > procedure. On all other CMF installs, the module is "CMFFoo.Install",
> > and the method is "install". This one changes that. It'd be a simple
> > change, really.
>
> you're absolutely correct. this has bothered me as well. i just changed it
> so that the script  module is now "Install.py" and the function in it is
> "install".

Cool, thanks.

> > CMF Decor
> > ---------
> > Has an Install method, but is not documented that it is needed.
>
> it is now ;)  i added instructions to CMFDecor.INSTALL.txt

Sweet. :)

I would have, but in the CVS changes, my hard drive failure, I don't
have cvs commit access anymore. :(

So in the meantime, I'll just filter them through you, like this :)

Bill

--
Bill Anderson
Immosys