[Zope-CMF] Coments on Z2.5b1 with CMF and friends

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:51:42 +0800

>> Now, if there was some detailed docs on *converting* between the two,
>> that would help out quite a bit, So far, the docs are not that great. I
>> *know* how to do things in DTML, but not ZPT. The ZPT docs seem oriented
>> away from people like me. Ah well, guess that just might help me out,
>> since in this next week I'll be offering skin development form
>> templates, etc. for a small, reasonable fee. They will be done in DTML
>> until I have good reason to use ZPT.:)
>

> actually, there are a few HowTos that try to put DTML and ZPT
> constructs side by side that should be helpful in converting. trust
> me, as someone who has been *very* lazy in making the switch away from
> DTML myself it only took me a few days and some example ZPT code (like
> the CMFDecor skins)
>  to be able to do most of what i need. there is still quite a few
> things that i'm not comfortable with, but the switch itself was not as
> painful as i thought.

Most of the tutorials are quite good, and cover most things quite well
except for tree's. Which I don't like and never use anyway.

We have moved almost all our CMF development to ZPT/CMFDecor and
definately see the benefit's. It is certainly worth the effort to learn
the new "lingo".

However I still find it occasionally much easier to play/explore with
DTML  than with ZPT. Error messages/stack traces in ZPT leave a lot to
de desired in comparison to DTML. Also some small things I find "MUCH"
easier to do in dtml.  (ie Batching in dtml is much richer - unless I am
missing something ;-)

Also I can't for the life of me work out how to pass explicit arguments
to a zpt method, when calling a zpt method from a zpt method.

But on the whole python scripts and zpt are much better than dtml, for
CMF development (you are really tempted to put much logic into zpt ;-).
Reskinning is definately easier, and this is where the rubber really
meets the road ;-)

See ya

Tim