[Zope-CMF] Coments on Z2.5b1 with CMF and friends

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:17:27 -0500

Bill Anderson wrote:

> OK, figured I'd try it out, using zope 2.5, python 2.1.1 and CMF*
>

> CMF Version: Checkout from yesterday.
>
> CMF Site
> --------
>
> New -> Document -> Upload STX file:
> Silently fails. No data is uploaded, but it doesn't complain. This is
> bad.

Thanks for reporting this;  you win the prize for noting the bug between its
checkin and my refresh (I actually spotted the bug in the checkins message).

Jens posted a tracker issue which included your bug, and which I have now
resolved:

   http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/Tracker/417

'cvs -q up -dP' should remove the bug.

> The default Index page shows that the Member folder doesn't have a
> title, resulting in a screen with a folder icon, but no text.
>
> CMF Skins in general
> --------------------
>   It seems to me that with two or tree "full" skins, there is going to
> be an *awful* lot of folders present in the skin tree. What about having
> in the skins folder, an overall skin tree such that we have:
> Portal Skins
>   Skin Name
>    content
>    generic
>    etc..
>  Other Skin
>    content
>    generic
>    etc..
>
> Anyway, just a thought. Perhaps the main skin name folder could be a
> "transparent portal folder", and the sub-skin folders could have
> prefixes?
>

> CMF News Items
> --------------
> More of a request ... how about a structured-text/html radio button, and
> a means of uploading the body, pretty please?

Given that NewsItems really *are* Documents under the hood, you could just
rewire your 'portal_actions/NewsItem' object to use 'document_edit_form'
instead of 'newsitem_edit_form' as its 'edit' action.

> CMF Collector
> -------------
> I had hopes for this one. Unfortunately, it *requires* ZPT, which is
> installed as base zope now. The sad part is, it makes it completely
> incompatible with other skins. how about a default, basic skin, please?
> In order for Collector to be integrated, it requires an understanding of
> ZPT, in order to convert it to dtml. I would say that while DTML is
> still the default, CMF* products should come with dtml skin objects.
> Including a ZPT version would be nice, but not required.

We are close to releasing CMF 1.2, which will have ZPT skins available
by default.  We do not plan to do new development on the DTML skins after
that release, although we welcome patches to the DTML skins.  Actually,
we would welcome community volunteers to maintain the DTML skins;  can I
read your "I would say" as a willingness to help?

> Installation. It appears that this one strays from the de facto install
> procedure. On all other CMF installs, the module is "CMFFoo.Install",
> and the method is "install". This one changes that. It'd be a simple
> change, really.
>
> CMF Wiki
> --------
> Looks good, integrates well. Needs a way to set the Wiki Title w/o using
> ZMI.

Yep, this is a peeve of mine as well.  CMFWiki is "unsupported" at the
moment (and likely to remain so), but I will fix this one just because
it irritates me.

> CMF Decor
> ---------
> Has an Install method, but is not documented that it is needed.

It won't be needed for "new" sites created after the 1.2 release, as
the ZPT skin will be automatically added during site creation.  I think
Jens has added a note anyway, both for the interim and FBO existing sites.

Thanks very much for the feedback, and for volunteering ;)