[Zope-CMF] Future of CMF

Seb Bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:18:02 -0000

> 5. (OFF-Topic) Is it a bad thing to make Zope more complicated?
> If future users will be required to use  ZPT and Component
Architecture which may be better but harder to understand (for newbies),
will people just tend to 'bounce off' Zope and go elsewhere?

As I see it (only just started looking at Z3 properly), the first cuts
will be quite a large jump for product developers; however, the
potential benefits in the long run are massive.  Take, for example, the
xml-based configuration files: it will be possible for someone to write
a single GUI tool for managing all these kinds of things (binding
actions to objects, for example).  Think M$ MMC snap-ins.

So yes, there are risks regarding documentation and what will be asked
of developers initially, but really every aspect of zope, including
usability, stands to benefit.

seb