[Zope-CMF] Reference Objects in CMF

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:16:57 -0800

This is a second posting with [hopefully] more clarity in my explanation of
what I'm looking for.

Initially I thought I would use something that acted like a symbolic link
(symlink), but after searching for and looking at the behavior scripted in
Shane Hathaway's 'PortableHoles' product I realized that symbolic link
behavior is not what I'm after.

I don't want an object to appear in two places at once. What I really want
is a 'reference' to an object that has it's own meta information (primarily
expiration), and localized security behavior [the reference object not the
'target'].

It appears that what I need is to get the unrestricted traversal path for
the object I want to reference (is this essentially the Unique ID?), and
then when accessing attributes of the referenced object I need to use that
path to call the object directly. Something on the order of getObject(),
but with the unique id as opposed to the data_record_id_.

Can someone let me know if I'm on the right path, and perhaps reference the
python or dtml calls that would facilitate this behavior?

Thanks,

~C

-----
Carl E. Rendell
Smoking Gnomes
Sr. Consultant                 |  "Ahh, the power of acquisition"
cer@sol43.com                  |                     - ChefZ
408.373.6866                   |