[Zope-CMF] DateTime support for Norwegian dateformat? (offtopic)

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
21 Dec 2001 12:34:56 +0000

On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 11:40, jkpikifi wrote:
> Sorry this is offtopic, but here goes anyway:
>
> My proposed fix for this was that when '.' is the delimiter, the
> default order would be dd.mm.yyyy but when '/' is the delimiter, the
> order would be mm/dd/yyyy.  Someone more familiar with global date
> formats perhaps can tell whether this is a sensible approach - or is
> there a habit of using mm.dd somewhere on the globe?  An older format
> (not that much used anymore) for dates in Finland is dd/m but many
> places with more people I think use m/dd, so defaulting to m/dd seems
> like a reasonable thing.

dd/mm is the standard in the UK.

IMO the ISO 8605 format (YYYY-MM-DD) is the only sensible default:

 - it is an international standard
 - it's unambigious (hmm, ok, *less* ambiguous)
 - it sorts nicely as a string

DateTime knows how to display and parse in this format.

seb