[Zope-PTK] CMF?

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:34:28 -0500

Yes, as one of the "Powers That Weren't" on this issue, I'll confess to
not moving quickly enough to get the info out there.

As we've long hinted, we at Digital Creations are getting full-bore into
the content
management business.  Our angle will be speed: speed to market, reducing
time to publish, really fast consulting, etc.

Thus, consider this the official notice to the list:

  The PTK is being renamed the CMF (content management framework).

We chose not to go with a splashy name as we aren't really creating a
product.  We feel strongly from talking to a lot of people in the market
that nobody believes in CMS products anymore.  They are really just
starting points for massive customization.  We'll argue that we're the
first framework for content management, allowing people to quickly get
_their_ CMS online.

The core functionality for a CMS will be in the CMF as Open Source.
Digital Creations will likely create narrow-market, for-fee
consultingware that we charge for in our consulting engagements to
extend the CMF.

We expect to get a 1.0 out the door at the end of this month,
essentially setting the architecture for continued development.  There
will likely be major stuff being added for the next few months.

We made the CMF the focus of our pitch and demos at LinuxWorld week
before last.  We ran a portal site in a cluster of five machines in the
bayMountain booth next to us.  Ken Manheimer whipped together a demo app
where 62,000 mail messages were turned into portal content.  The demo
covered:

  o Explain the new Forrester Research report called "volume" the
  biggest challenge for websites.  Too many pages for the webmaster
  bottleneck.  The answer was to safely delegate control in a managed
  environment for content.

  o We had a Guest do some poking around.

  o The Guest then joined and logged in as a Member.  The Member created
  some content.  We highlighted the metadata, explained that only they
  could see the doc until it was workflowed.

  o Showed requesting a workflow, reviewer approving it, then Undo.

  o Showed the speed of finding "apache" in 62,000 mail messages in
  the cluster.

People really liked the demos.  We had 8 press/analyst appointments.
The story held up quite well to scrutiny.

Folks, I'm awfully excited about what everyone's been doing on PTK over
the years and particularly in the last few months.  What's there _right
now_ is compelling in the marketplace, we just need to finish, document,
and evangelize this baby.  This will take help from everybody!

--Paul