[Zope-PTK] Chowning content

Jens Vagelpohl jens@digicool.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:05:12 -0500

your (excellent) question touches another point that came up in conjunction
with the user management on zope.org. what will happen to content that was
created by a member that has not visited the site in a long time and that
can be considered to be "expired"? the solution could be that we have a
script that is run at certain intervals to check if a user has not logged in
for a certain amount of time. if the user does not have any content in his
own area it just gets deleted. but what if there is content that is probably
linked to from elsewhere as well?

the solution where all content is "taken away" from the user upon publishing
and becomes owned by the portal is unsatisfactory, at least in the case of
zope.org. people like to control what they produce and what if i want to
change an item after publishing? do i have to go to the site manager and beg
for access?

the other solution, where the content is only brought into a common area and
ownership goes to the portal upon expiration of a member's account is a
better way, but it will break internal and external links that point to the
old location for the given piece of content.

from a pure technical side it is probably easier to write a script that can
be run once in a while to "repossess" content and bring it into a common
location in the portal. changing the policy so that publication means taking
the item out of the author's hand is possible as well, but it requires going
into the python source code at this point and as such is not "upgrade
proof".

either way, using python it is easy to do a "cut and paste" operation on a
content object and change its ownership. the final decision depends on your
situation.

jens