[Zope-PTK] the workflow in the sample "Portal (new)"

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
27 Feb 2001 02:53:22 GMT

On 26 Feb 2001 18:25:00 -0600, Jim Hebert wrote:

>Am I preaching to the choir, ie, is workflow already planned to be
>extended to edits?
>
>Thanks, and no offense intended to any of the developers, the product is
>simply amazing, I'm spoiled by how perfectly it's fit some of our needs, I
>guess. =)

You are preaching to the choir. And I can't imagine that anyone
would take offense at anything you said. The problem is that we
apparently haven't quite figured out how to accomplish a real,
generic workflow mechanism yet (have we?).

We are holding off discussing it for now because the DC guys have
their plate more than full with getting the current CMF out the
door. The recent changes and ones coming up, IMO, are crucial to
the core CMF and attempt to address so many of my problems and
reservations over the years with using Zope that I've been pretty
stunned at how nicely and quickly them have been incorporated (have
to start learing how to use them).

Note that the workflow not only needs to be able to workflow document
and document section edits, but other types of objects also. As
I've discussed a few times, I need to workflow tabular data objects,
but a diff merge in this case is pretty trivial as compared to a
text document and can be easily managed via SQL. If the CMF workflow
falls short of what I need, I think I can manage it using SQL, but
we have other objects besides tabular ones that would fit more
nicely within a document context. I sure would like for all my
objects to use the same framework...

So maybe sit tight a little longer till we get the green light to
start trying to hash things out? In the meanwhile, start making
notes about what you need. :^)