[Zope-PTK] How-To requested

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:55:02 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:
> With regular intervals one sees messages on this list expressing
> frustration on the complexity in customizing the PTK. For me a very
> recognizable feeling. When one wants to use the PTK for real work there
> is a very steep learning curve. This will effectively prevent the PTK
> from ever coming in widespread use.
>
> In the last year the architecture of the PTK has changed considerable,
> resulting in a lot of work, which might (?) invalidate some
> documentation written more than a few months ago.

IMHO you've captured the essence of the problem right there: in a short
time whatever documentation we might write now will be invalidated.
Most of the complexity involved in the PTK boils down to this:

1) Difficult to install.  This is because of ZClasses.  The plan is to
soon not depend on ZClasses by default.
2) No clear path for customization.  Another artifact of the ZClasses
problem.  The new DirectoryView objects, created yesterday, are designed
to provide a clear path.  They are in the repository but not integrated.

When it's ready to be written, your help with documentation will be
greatly appreciated.

Shane