[Zope-PTK] Tools

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:00:03 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:

> Can someone help me understand how to use the tools which have appeared
> in the New Architecture PTK. I wonder about the following:
> 1. How to change the catalog (metadata and indexes) so that when a new
> portal is instanciated these changes are in place.

What do you mean?  Are you talking about creating a lot of portals?

> 2. How to implement other policies regarding registration and
> membership? Change the files in PTKDemo or create a PTKCustomized
> product based only on PTKBase? The last option seems better, but how
> does one get a portal based on PTKCustomized instead of PTKDemo.

You can delete a tool instance and put another in its place.  In fact,
you can create a folder, put the required methods in it, and have a
portal tool that way.  Or you can create a ZClass that subclasses a
portal tool.  Or you can write a product that subclasses portal tools or
even ignores the standard base classes while implementing all the
required methods.

Shane